I just made a happy discovery. I’m #1 on Google!
To be sure, these things fluctuate. I’ve never been #1 on Google before, and it might no longer be true tomorrow. But today I’m celebrating!
I never thought I’d make it to the top. When I began my web site, it didn’t even come up on the first page of search results. Actually, I think it came up on the 3rd!
The worst insult of all was that some other Barbara Carter had already snagged the “BarbaraCarter.com” URL for herself. And, obviously, was coming up top in any search. Drat!
This forced me to really think about how to set up my web site, what to call it, and how to optimize it for people trying to find me. The first thing I had to do was register a different URL, which I did by using my middle initial.
The all-important “J” in Barbara J Carter!
I began to use that “J” in everything. I had always signed my name with it, but now it became my identifier, the thing that sets me apart from all the other Barbara Carters. Believe me, there are a LOT of Barbara Carters out there. So, everywhere my name appeared, I made sure the “J” was included.
Slowly, over the years, I incorporated more and more SEO (search engine optimization) methods to enhance my standing on Google. I even took a class on SEO. Some of the usual SEO techniques involve using keywords, text links, alt tags, and incoming links. An art web site is especially hard to optimize because art is fundamentally about images, while search engines just look at words. It’s slow going, but apparently all that slow steady work has finally paid off!
Or maybe it’s just because the other Barbara Carter’s web site is down.